Monday, November 12, 2012

Don't feel like baking this holiday season? What about making candy? (sort of)

A few Christmases ago I "made" some peppermint chocolate candy for a special someone. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any pictures.

I bought a few cheap molds, special chocolate for the molds, red and white sugar, and peppermint oil. I sprinkled the sugar into the the molds. Then, I melted the chocolate using a double boiler. I stirred in a small amount of peppermint oil. I finished by pouring the melted chocolate into the molds. And voila! Once it hardens you have yummy candy you can just pop out of the molds.

Here are some cool videos from YouTube which describe the process in more detail and show some cool designs. You can buy the supplies at craft stores like Joann's. Here are some Wilton products that are pretty easy to find: Candy MeltsCandy Molds, and Candy Tools.

There are, of course, many more sophisticated ways to go either on your own or with kits. Check out the Alpine Pal Candy Pretzel Pops from Wilton (pictured below).

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Alpine-Pal-Candy-Pretzel-Pops


Sweet Eating and Melting, 

Lael

No comments:

Post a Comment