Thursday, October 11, 2012

Need Inspiration?!

In search of a little inspiration? 

Sometimes I find myself in a creative rut OR alternatively, I have lots of creative energy (and not a lot of time to create something) so I find it fun to spend a few minutes in cyberworld gaining inspiration. We all know that there are a lot of sites out there designed to give inspiration or ideas. The first that comes to my mind is Pinterest. But this post is going to showcase two other sites that can be inspirational tools as well.

1. Stumble Upon
I enjoy SU when I've got a few moments to fill -- but not enough time to really DO anything. The basis of SU is that you tell it what your interests are, whether photographs, architecture, history, food etc. and it brings up completely random webpages showcasing that interest. To be honest it is a fun way to find things that you might never come across otherwise. Much like Pandora, you can tailor the site to your interests and likes.

Here is a neat photograph of a bus that I stumbled upon while looking at architecture:


2. Tumblr
Tumblr is great if you enjoy blogging -- because in many ways it is another blogging platform. BUT in general, I find that posts are shorter and more visual. Much like facebook, you can connect and follow people that you know. But it is much more acceptable to follow folks that post on things you like (even if you don't know them) ! Below is a funny post that I came across in preparation for this blog. It shows the Monsters University webpage designed by Pixar. If you are looking for a laugh, check it out...
On a more serious note, many academic institutions, designers, shops and artists, etc. have tumblr pages that can be used to find inspiration or information on things YOU are interested in! This guy keeps a collection of architectural drawings that alway interest me...


Check out Stumble Upon and Tumblr. Both legit, fun and can be utilized on many different levels. I always find myself learning something new and feeling a bit inspired...

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment