Monday, October 22, 2012

Weeknight Beading Project


Howdy, Jewelry Lovers! Remember this bead below from an earlier post? I went on about how you can make a quick necklace with one large bead, string, and a clasp.


Although I liked this necklace, the bead turned out to be too heavy for the thin string, so when I went back to Bedazzled, I bought some more beads to make a fuller  necklace and transformed it into this.


Here are the supplies I used: small pliers for beading, scissors, Bedazzled Tortoise Mix Matte Czech 6 seed beads, assorted Bedazzled specialty beads, Bedazzled antique copper lobster clasps with split rings, Bedazzled Natural antique copper clamshell bead tips, Silk No. 10 by Griffin, and a coaster!


I like this string, especially for a quick project or for someone who doesn't bead often and is low on funds/supplies. This string comes with a beading needle for the use of the string. Normally, I don't use bead tips, but after my last collapse (and running down a hallway after my large bead), I decided to use them this time. First, I tied a knot on the end of the string without the needle.


Next, I put the knot inside the bead tip and used the pliers to close it tightly. I then attached the lobster claw to the other side of the bead tip and used my pliers again.


I liked most of the seed beads in this mix, but did not want to use the dark purples, so I separated those and set the ones I wanted to use on the coaster. The coaster helped separate, but also made it easier to string the beads. Good enough until I have more beading supplies!


I think it is probably best practice to set out your beads first, but I decided the basic layout mentally, and felt that the end product would have a more fun and relaxed vibe if the seed bead colors were random rather than in a set order. I started with 20 seed beads. Then one of my smaller specialty beads (I started with 6 of those). Then 10 seed beads. Then another specialty bead and so on.


I placed the large specialty bead in the center of the necklace and repeated my pattern all the way around. At the end, I cut the string, made another knot, attached another bead tip, and finally attached the ring for the lobster claw.


My end result is a bit jazzier than my original single bead vision, but still quick, easy, and fun to make! It's always nice to have done something productive after 9pm on a weeknight!

Until next time,
Lael

PS. Here's another necklace I made after I wrote this post! The lighting was bad, but you get the idea!


No comments:

Post a Comment