Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I hope my daughter never posts art I did in elementary school on the internet...

Wow, so as it turns out sorting through items which were in my grandparents' house reveals a wide variety of amazing art to silly keepsakes to dated kitsch. I would have kept this process primarily to myself, but just one day revealed some really cool stuff. Here's just one of the cool discoveries from Saturday:

I completely fell in love with this childhood painting by my mother. Something about it really grabs me.


I think it's the articulation of the arms and the snake:


She's not such a big fan!

The fascinating part about doing this is that you never know what you might find inside something you believe is something completely different. Pressed flowers in unremarkable books, personal letters inside old magazines, old war medals in a drawer of wrapping paper...

And then, sometimes, you discover what's "underneath" by moving furniture.

This was my Grandma's chair. She'd always had it, and she always sat in it.


Turns out that's a slipcover, and I never knew. It actually looks like this:


All of my retro trendy friends think I should remove the slipcover!

That's all for today! More in this theme to come!

--Lael
www.thebookoflael.com


No comments:

Post a Comment