Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Quest for the Alpha Omega

Okay, so this post is really just about me trying to acquire jewelry.

A few years ago around Christmas, I saw this Alpha Omega  in the Metropolitan Museum of Art Store online shop. $550???? Yup. They also have this Christogram. $375!!!! The latter is based on this "Fragment of a Marble Sarcophagus" in the MET collections.

I was sad, but in January a clearance catalogue came out which had a cheaper version with the Chi Rho. I was super excited to obtain it for around $40.


Although I love this piece, I've been looking for a less expensive suitable Alpha Omega since then (but, if anyone wants to buy me a $550 piece of jewelry, I won't complain. It's a beautiful piece).

In the process, I've found some very cool items.

An Etsy search revealed this crisp pendant and this wonderful pieceA lot of the ones I have seen have that sort of arched shape. And there's the type that has everything

Although I am still searching, I stumbled upon this website when reading a recent volume of  Biblical Archaeology Review. They have an Alpha Omega cross.

Most of the items on the site are crosses, but if you like Alpha Omega's and Chi Rho's, you'd probably like these: Canterbury Cross, Evangelist CrossKilklispeen Cross, and the Scriptures Cross.

And don't worry. This is not a paid advertisement! I just wanted to show you some nice pieces. I'm still hoping to figure out a way to make my own...more inspiration is always a good thing! And then I found this blog post. Maybe I can eventually learn to make my own jewelry!

PS. For any clarification needed, check out these Wikipedia articles about Alpha Omega and Chi Rho. Sufficient for this purpose!

--Lael

No comments:

Post a Comment