Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Light as Art


Hi, this is Steph. And this is my first post with On the Side after Five. I am an architectural historian by training, but a crafter at heart. I love taking photographs, cooking, diy paper projects, rubber stamping, painting and more. Check out this blog a couple times a month for posts by me! They will focus on whatever project or inspiration currently consuming me. Enjoy!


The other night, I had the pleasure of going to Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. It was a much needed trip. I needed a bit of 'zen' time. Time spent enjoying a peaceful, quiet and intriguing place. This post isn't about creating any tangible object. Rather, it's about finding time to enjoy art. For the past few weeks, Longwood has been hosting a wonderful light installation by Bruce Munro, a British light artist. WHAT?! I didn't know one could be a light artist but, now I want to be one.


Inside the Conservatory, the main overhead lights were dimmed, and Munro's lights dangled from the ceiling in various configurations. Small lights, large lights, groups of lights, single lights. They were magnificent! Gazing at the lights, while smelling so the scents of some many wonderful flowers was super calming and just put me in a good place. 


Outside, in a far off field, recycled bottles filled with water and strung with lights created large lit drums. This, in combination with some mystical music created a lovely place to sit and just relax. The whole scene was really breathtaking. And surreal. 


One of the best parts of the whole installation was near one of the coolest treehouses at Longwood - an entire forest filled with fiber optic light bulbs! Each bulb slowly changed color from yellow, to red, purple, blue, and green.

The purpose of this post? To share an amazing place with all our readers, of course! But also to remind you to go out and look for art all around you. Art doesn't just live in art museums. Munro's installation and whole body of work takes light to a new level. One that I certainly enjoy!

Check out more of my photographs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment