Sunday, August 19, 2012

Goodwill Hunting: Librarian, $4.00



I picked this lovely lady up at a recently opened secondhand shop called Rags to Riches in Bellefonte, PA in July. Based on her no-nonsense expression, her fabulous sense of style and the book she holds in her left hand, I've decided to call this piece Librarian. I love her orange striped 1940s shirt dress and brown wedges and wish I could add this look to my own wardrobe (though I could do without the Anne-of-Green-Gables puff sleeves).

This watercolor was painted on a piece of thick art board measuring 10 inches wide by 20 inches high.  It was signed by the artist in the lower left corner; the inscription reads: "Carolyn Zielke - 12." I would guess that the 12 refers to Ms. Zielke's age, or perhaps the grade she was in when she painted this? I'm leaning toward the former theory. The gangly, longer-than-life-size arms and legs suggest that Carolyn was young and still learning how to draw figures with the correct proportions. But there is talent here: for example, the Librarian's skin is incredibly well done. Check out how evenly the wash was applied, and the delicate shading along the left side of all of her limbs--watercolor is not easy to work with, yet the lines are so precise.

I wonder when this was made: in the '40s, as the style of clothing would suggest, or much later? The board is in pretty good condition, with only some slight wear and a few faint stains here and there. Carolyn's beautiful cursive signature makes me think this was made mid-century, when school kids were still drilled in penmanship (a dying art, it seems, because we're typing most of the time now). I wonder if Carolyn had dreams of being a fashion designer, and invented this outfit on her own. The Librarian was one of four drawings by the artist for sale at Rags to Riches. The others included a yawning blond in pink pajamas; a woman in a blue dress; and a woman in an elegant green ball gown. I wish I'd bought the whole set, but it was a cash-only shop and I am so stingy about ATM surcharges.

I hung the Librarian up in my little dressing alcove so that she can inspire me to primp a little harder each morning as I get ready for work. If we're going to be shushing people all day, we might as well do it wearing gorgeous red lipstick and glossy pin curls!

No comments:

Post a Comment