Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Semi-Homemade Beaded Jewelry

So, I should start this post by saying that I am NOT a beader. I aspire to be, but I'm not quite there yet. I decided to write this post to make the point that one need not have many skills or tools to make some simple and inexpensive beaded jewelry and have some fun in the process. This is not a craft about which you should be saying, "I could never do that."

You can find everything you need at a bead shop. If you're in Baltimore, D.C., or McClean, VA, check out Bedazzled. The entire store is filled with self-serve plates/trays of beads arranged in regions of the store by color. Tools, findings, cords/wires/chains, containers for your beads, and everything else you may need, plus some nice gift items, finished jewelry, and books can be found at this nifty store. I also love to go to the International Gem & Jewelry Show when it comes to town. On the other hand, you can always go to your local Michaels or A.C. Moore. Bedazzled, Michaels, and A.C. Moore all have great beading ideas/tips/information/how-to's on their sites.






If you don't want to design your own item, you can buy a beading kit. I am sure that this necklace came from a kit for kids. I made it at a birthday party when I was in elementary school! I can't believe it's still in one piece, but it has definitely stretched a bit too much (it's not exactly a choker anymore).







You also can choose one signature bead and make a super simple necklace with just one bead as a pendant. The two beads below are my most recent Bedazzled acquisitions.

                          


You can also choose a few large beads and then use matching/complementary seed beads like the ones below.










Here's one of the more complicated things I've made in recent years:










I also want to share with you two pieces my mom made when I was a kid and I still wear to this day. Both incredibly chic, classic, and simple.





You can see here that there are only two colors of beads and that they increase in size from each end with the biggest in the middle.



This piece uses two sizes of the same color bead with five seed beads between each larger bead. You could just use the exact same bead all around and still have a cute piece.





There's one more incredibly simple project I made that I'd like to share. For all of you bead wearers out there, I know there has been a time or two when a necklace or bracelet fell to pieces. When you're lucky, you can recover all of the pieces (or most of them). I usually end up shoving the loose beads into an envelope, and if they look salvageable, I transfer them to my beading box. When I have time, I resurrect them into something new (and probably simpler).


So, don't feel overwhelmed! You can rescue injured jewelry, and you can make some really cool things with very little practice--just think what you could make if you do decide to dedicate yourself! For me, the hardest parts are not buying too many things in the store(s), threading the beads, and tying the knots. All of the above pieces use cord or wire and a clasp. I used small pliers for a few of the pieces, and for the pieces with seed beads, we used a beading needle.



Want an even easier project? Try earrings or bookmarks! It's always a nice feeling when you've made something yourself, even if that something doesn't require too much effort!


--Lael

PS. For some really cool DIY jewelry, see this Mixed Method post!

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty cool,looks so easy and cute also! thank you for sharing I will update some of beaded Jewelry on my site.

    ReplyDelete