Sunday, September 30, 2012

Goodwill Hunting: Tiger, $8.00


Oh, Padonia Road Goodwill; you always do me right. I found this beautiful portrait in chalks (a pastel, if you will) of a tiger there today, along with some great yoga clothes. Why do I mention the yoga gear? Well, over the past four months I've become obsessed with Bikram yoga and it sort of involves tigers.

Part of the Bikram instruction encourages you to use your "Bengal tiger strength" and I've always loved the way those words create an image in my mind and, in turn, a renewed sense of my ability to flex or point, hold or breathe. You are usually told to summon your Bengal tiger strength in the Standing Head-to-Knee asana: ugh, so hard! Having this handsome tiger hanging on my wall is a visual reminder of the power and grace I hope to someday muster in such a pose.

There is an artist's signature in the bottom right corner of the pastel: L.D. Harvey. Not surprisingly, I couldn't track down any information about Mr/Ms Harvey. What I do know is that he or she gave this tiger a sense of vulnerability: the eyes look a little concerned, or curious. The chalk gives the tiger a sense of softness that makes me want to reach out and pet his chin or his tiny ears. Based on my experience with the "tiger" (pictured below) that lives in my apartment, I'd probably regret doing that.

Massive

No comments:

Post a Comment