Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins.

This time of year is filled with pumpkins. So I am dedicating this post to all things pumpkin. I hope you get some inspiration/ideas/enjoyment out of this post!

One thing I really look forward to this time of year is pumpkin pie. Or pumpkin cheesecake. Or pumpkin soup. A quick search for pumpkin recipes brings up hundreds of ideas. Check out these from Allrecipes.com. The roast pumpkin and feta risotto sounds delish. But back to pumpkin pie. It's a must have seasonal treat. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg -- fall rolled into one dish. Here's a recipe that I like. I've always used canned pumpkin, more so because it is super easy (and still tasty). Here is a photog of a pumpkin pie my dad made yesterday:


Another well known thing to do with pumpkins during the fall is carving or decorating them. Growing up we used to carve pumpkins every year. My least favorite bit was the initial cleaning out of all the pumpkin goo. Although I loved roasting pumpkin seeds! When we were younger, my dad would help us do the carving with a handmade drawing. But as we got older, we used those pumpkin carving kits - the ones with the designs, pokers and little saws. I don't know how many of those little saws I broke...


Carving is super fun -- but I'm a total believer in painting them too! The cool thing about pumpkin painting is that you can have a fun pumpkin decoration for the entire month of October -- instead of just a week around Halloween! That's a plus. Here are some neat pumpkin painting ideas I've seen recently...






I'm a big fan of the plaid ones and the zigzag pattern. Who would have thought about puffy paint on pumpkins!? Pumpkin painting is also fun to do with younger kids before they are really old enough to carve! 

And now for our last pumpkin themed topic for the night...

Punkin chunkin is a Delaware specialty -- it has been since replicated in other places. But Delaware has the hold on the biggest event for sure. In about 35 days, the world championship punkin chunkin competition will begin. What is punkin chunkin?!? Well basically, it is throwing pumpkins! Teams build large catapults and try their best to out throw their competition. The Discovery Channel airs a whole show on it...so make sure to tune in!



Regardless of whether you like to eat, decorate or throw (or all three) your pumpkins, enjoy this month of pumpkin goodness! 


No comments:

Post a Comment